Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers
Loading

Notices

Thread: Discontinued

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2023, 07:20 PM   #21
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: st louis
Posts: 557
Default Re: Discontinued

I love my phoenix, that's why I want a pro or ultra

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2023, 07:19 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 489
Default Re: Discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I wonder, I wonder what VP has planned to replace them with?!?!?
It would be cool if they did like a Ripper for the masses. Plastic cage and axles, lexan body, VFD running gear, and price it like the Phoenix. Maybe do a trailing arm rear suspension too just to change things up a little. I think that would sell.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 07:58 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: SOCAL
Posts: 149
Default Re: Discontinued

they have got a couple more axle styles and perhaps its time for an updated version... Josh has mentioned how much better the f10 axles are compared to the f9 on the pro and ultra ... we will perhaps see new kits with any of these new axle housings and maybe the f10 straight axle alum housing kit.
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 09:21 AM   #24
Go Buckeyes!
 
B-MOW71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mid-Ohio
Posts: 3,522
Default Re: Discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
I love my phoenix, that's why I want a pro or ultra

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
You need one! A Pro that is. I just wonder what kind of prices we will see for used and lightly used Pro and Ultras once they are discontinued.

We've all seen the sky high price tags for Ripper's these days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
It would be cool if they did like a Ripper for the masses. Plastic cage and axles, lexan body, VFD running gear, and price it like the Phoenix. Maybe do a trailing arm rear suspension too just to change things up a little. I think that would sell.
I would buy one for sure! I'm all for their new plastic F10 axles! I love the D44 alum axles, but these new F10's are my favorite to date! Very durable and excellent steering angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy-Triple View Post
they have got a couple more axle styles and perhaps its time for an updated version... Josh has mentioned how much better the f10 axles are compared to the f9 on the pro and ultra ... we will perhaps see new kits with any of these new axle housings and maybe the f10 straight axle alum housing kit.
I can see this and with a new body style. I think the current chassis is great and I don't think it needs to be changed unless VP decides to make a comp style rig with angled skid.
B-MOW71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 10:14 AM   #25
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: NC
Posts: 129
Default Re: Discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessTrent91 View Post
I can see this and with a new body style. I think the current chassis is great and I don't think it needs to be changed unless VP decides to make a comp style rig with angled skid.
When I heard the Pro and Ultra were being discontinued, this was my first thought. They would've known about the 10 Pro going on almost 2 years now at least, so it's probably not off their radar that Axial was working on that and it is probably the next step forward for them. That segment seems to be growing, too.

It's also possible they are just going to devote their brand going forward to the Phoenix, which appeals to a much wider audience than the Pro or Ultra did. It's a better business decision IMO.

I would like to see what they can do with a comp truck, though, I feel Axial will always be somewhat hamstrung in product development due to their size and need to appeal to a wider audience. A brand like Vanquish could possibly release a comp truck kit like the SCX10 Pro and get away with it being a little more aggressive or purpose built. I'd really like to see a full C1 kit, since that is a somewhat more difficult class to build for compared to the others, but I'd expect a C2/C3 since it has wider appeal.
Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 02:37 PM   #26
Slow is the new fast
 
smog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 2,652
Default Re: Discontinued

If VP is discontinuing old models its because a new one is coming. It may not be next week, but something is coming. They aren't settling with the Phoenix. You can be sure what comes will only be an improvement. This is Vanquish we are talking about.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 03:59 PM   #27
Ots
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Glendora
Posts: 207
Default Re: Discontinued

Do we know for sure that the Pro and Ultra are being discontinued? Whether or not they are on Amain is not a good indicator.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 04:17 PM   #28
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 1,258
Default Re: Discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ots View Post
Do we know for sure that the Pro and Ultra are being discontinued? Whether or not they are on Amain is not a good indicator.

Yes it was made pretty clear, as far as when, who knows?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 04:57 PM   #29
Ots
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Glendora
Posts: 207
Default Re: Discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Yes it was made pretty clear, as far as when, who knows?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Thomas.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 10:06 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: NC
Posts: 129
Default Re: Discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
If VP is discontinuing old models its because a new one is coming. It may not be next week, but something is coming. They aren't settling with the Phoenix. You can be sure what comes will only be an improvement. This is Vanquish we are talking about.
Their lineup right now is a little overly cluttered, they have what amounts to 4 trail trucks in the lineup with the two variations of the Phoenix and the Pro/Ultra. It would seem to be a strange business move to make a Pro/Ultra v2 when the Phoenix already fills the trail truck category. Seems more likely to be something like the SCX10 Pro or something entirely new, rock bouncer or trail buggy maybe?

No doubt they are trimming their lineup to introduce something new, but I seriously doubt it's an updated Pro/Ultra. I could be wrong, just seems like it wouldn't make much sense to have so many options in that segment.
Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 06:46 AM   #31
Slow is the new fast
 
smog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 2,652
Default Re: Discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Their lineup right now is a little overly cluttered, they have what amounts to 4 trail trucks in the lineup with the two variations of the Phoenix and the Pro/Ultra. It would seem to be a strange business move to make a Pro/Ultra v2 when the Phoenix already fills the trail truck category. Seems more likely to be something like the SCX10 Pro or something entirely new, rock bouncer or trail buggy maybe?

No doubt they are trimming their lineup to introduce something new, but I seriously doubt it's an updated Pro/Ultra. I could be wrong, just seems like it wouldn't make much sense to have so many options in that segment.
I tend to agree with what you are saying. Their line-up is cluttered for such a small company.

I donít have a Pro, but it is my understanding that the Phoenix axle design is their best yet. Perhaps we get a Phoenix Pro as a stop-gap. I am obviously speculating as I havenít a hot clue and VP carries their cards close to the chest. Josh is easy going socially, but clearly very calculated in his words when it comes to his work.

Personally I would love to see them produce something like a U4 rig. Trailing arm suspension, IFS/SRA. I sense these guys like to be challenged and set a high bar. Something they havenít already done seems in line with such a challenge.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 08:33 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 291
Default Re: Discontinued

I could see the Ultra going away, but I have a Pro and absolutely love it, thinking of getting another. I've driven the Phoenix and have a build with the axles, and agree it's pretty awesome, but I think they should retain the Pro.

That said, there is a high level of parts interchangeability, so that may be a contributing factor to keep the lineup wide. With their incessant crowing about their Matsuura milling center, they can keep spitting out aluminum axle housings easily. We have a fleet of CNC milling centers, as well as a massive Matsuura, and we don't feel the need to tell our customers about them. That cracks me up to no end. Vanquish won't tell you the weight of a part, but they will tell you all about their CNC machine that made them. Holy balls.!

As for a U4 rig, I'm not so sure. Gatekeeper seems to be fading quickly and other than Losi playing ball, that's a small market. ARRMA hasn't dipped their toes into that water, yet they have the tech to do so. The IFS conversions from Element also went away, so my guess is that it's not a big enough market to fool with.

I want to qualify that statement with the fact what we've spent 2 years building an awesome U4 track here in Vegas, and received very little interest. Tried pushing it on the FB with other local RC stuff, and a few interested nibbles, yet no one has come to try it out. So, we have significant skin in the U4 game and not trying to undercut the idea of rock racing. U4RC seems to be a relic at best, with their last update for events being 2021, and I think the problem starts there. If there is no active organizing body, then a U4RC rig is just a cool basher. Again, we have 4 U4 rigs in the fleet and I'm all for them, but I would strongly advise a company like Vanquish against entering that market.
SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 08:38 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lava Lands
Posts: 131
Default Re: Discontinued

We were chatting about the Ryft kit sale and it's possible discontinuation. Given the sales bell curve of kits and that they are mostly bought by veteran enthusiasts, it wouldn't surprise me if the the kit is discontinued. Axial probably was enough in warehouse's to satisfy demand for the near future. I think the RTR will be around for a while, probably not as long of run as the Bomber.
What do you guys think is the natural progression of the AR90 axles/ Ryft platform? Axial isn't going to waste the tooling and molds they've invested in. Possible 1:8th 2.2 Honcho/ scale truck to fit a narrow gap in the lineup? Given Axials place in the Horizon umbrella, staying scale is likely. I personally would like to see a tube chassis moon buggy, rear engine with dig and a sensored BL system.
dusty husky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 08:52 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 291
Default Re: Discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty husky View Post
We were chatting about the Ryft kit sale and it's possible discontinuation. Given the sales bell curve of kits and that they are mostly bought by veteran enthusiasts, it wouldn't surprise me if the the kit is discontinued. Axial probably was enough in warehouse's to satisfy demand for the near future. I think the RTR will be around for a while, probably not as long of run as the Bomber.
What do you guys think is the natural progression of the AR90 axles/ Ryft platform? Axial isn't going to waste the tooling and molds they've invested in. Possible 1:8th 2.2 Honcho/ scale truck to fit a narrow gap in the lineup? Given Axials place in the Horizon umbrella, staying scale is likely. I personally would like to see a tube chassis moon buggy, rear engine with dig and a sensored BL system.

I think your first part is spot on, and I completely agree. I have two of the Ryft kits. The second part, maybe. Axial's plastic parts for axles are molded, and molds have life spans. After so many units are made, the mold needs to be replaced, and they may choose to not remake the mold. That would be a factor worth considering to support the RTR and drop the kit. Mold life is a big deciding factor in these items and molds are expensive. I believe this was one contributing factor to the AE Nomad DB-8 going away ( I have 3 of those and absolutely love them ).



That said, a 2.2 Honcho, yes! As a kit, double yes.
SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:15 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Seymour, Tn
Posts: 394
Default Re: Discontinued

I would love to see a AR90axle/platform used to make a new Poison Spyder Jeep. One bigger than the Wraith based one.
mulchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Discontinued - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discontinued? Nastyn8 Axial Yeti XL 20 09-25-2018 02:49 PM
Discontinued??? gdb85 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 76 06-21-2015 08:33 AM
Discontinued??? PhantomRS10 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 11-10-2010 11:28 AM
Discontinued?! TonkaYota Chit Chat 15 06-19-2007 09:35 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com